If you do not want to spend a large sum of money annually on a gym membership, it is possible to get in shape from the comfort of your own home.
With so many pieces of equipment you can buy, workout DVDs, and other products which are made specifically for those who want to workout at home, there is no shortage of options available to you when you are just getting started.
With this work out from home 101 guide, you will find out what you need to get started and how to remove distractions in your home to ensure you have a great workout.
The Essentials of Exercising at Home
When you are just starting out, you need the right equipment so you can perform workouts. If you are limited on space, some of the items you can buy for a rather affordable price include:
- A workout bench (so you can do bench presses, you can do leg press, dips, and other exercises).
- Workout DVDs. There are hundreds of these out there, and many of them are really great. So, depending on your goal, it is best to compare what is out there, so you can find the DVD sets which are going to work out best for you, and to help you get to the goals you want to reach.
- Dumbbell set. You can purchase an all in one set. These are a bit pricier, but they are far more efficient. You can adjust the weight in increments, allowing you to go from as low as 2.5 pounds, up to over 100 pounds with many of these. Further, it will eliminate the amount of space you need, so you will not need to have a weight rack set up.
- Ankle weights. These are great for jogging in place, doing jumping jacks, and doing other leg workouts. Even though they are only about five pounds each, after a few minutes you will really feel the burn.
- Jump rope. Cardiovascular training is critical; if you don’t get enough from running (on a treadmill) or with workout DVDs, jumping rope is one of the best cardio workouts you can imagine.
A few additional items to consider include stretch bands. These provide resistance, and allow you to add weight to many workout regimes you are doing, without forcing you to use actual weight.
You can also purchase medicine balls. These are good to do crunches, to help build core strength, and to help you balance your body and weight.
Having a treadmill or at home gym station (if you have the space and funds), are also a few key pieces of equipment to add to your at home gym when you are just starting out.
Regardless of the amount of space you have, or the amount you can spend, most of these items can be found for as low as $15 – $20 at any sporting good store. Further, there are so many new pieces of equipment coming out on a daily basis, so you can always find something new to add to your home gym, allowing you to workout at home, and get in a great workout which you thought you could only get at the gym!
How to Stay Focused
If the kids are home calling you every few minutes, how are you going to dedicate uninterrupted time each day to exercise?
Or, if you are distracted by the TV and other things at home, you are going to lose focus far too quickly and will never get your workout in. A few things you can do to limit distractions and to get the workout in are:
- Set a time for you. You should set a time to workout each day. Lock the kids out of the room, turn off the TV, and unwind. This is your time and it is something you are doing to better yourself.
- Find a separate room. If possible, find a small den or outdoor area for you to workout. Do not bring office supplies or home items into this space. If you make a dedicated workout area (even if you have a smaller home), you will find it is much easier to get the work done, and to remain focused.
- Use images. Many people use personal photos of the person they want to be, and the person they were, in order to get focused and stay on track. Why not try this trick so you can see yourself reaching these goals, and so you can remain focused when the time comes to workout.
- Try to workout with someone. If you have a spouse or kids at home, they can help motivate you. For many, it is simply not wanting to workout, so if you have someone who wants to push you and do it with you, it will be far easier to stay motivated.
- Reward yourself. Once you reach a certain goal, buy something nice for you, or a new piece of clothing that didn’t fit you in the past. When you see you are reaching different goals, and when you see the work you are doing is actually paying off, you are more likely to keep going, to continue to workout, and to do the work until you reach the set goal which you have in mind for yourself.
Sure, it may be challenging at first and many people find it to be difficult to set up a home gym, but in all reality, it really isn’t that tough or that costly for you to do. When you know the basics you are going to find it much easier to start, and to continue on a plan that you have laid out for yourself to follow.
Further, when you start to see the results, when you are seeing the progress that you have made, and when you are feeling much better about yourself, you are going to keep on going and will want to do the workouts from your home.